UBM_Rectangle

Sunday, April 19, 2009

DaY ONe: Galatians 1-3 ; Proverbs 1

Galatians 1-3 - I started reading this book which I have read in many times passed. Today, I really took another look at where Paul is coming from. In case you don't know... Paul is the writer of the book of Galatians. The Book of Galatians was originally written as a letter to the Christians in southern Galatia, which was a Roman province in what is now Turkey. Galatia was the area where on his first missionary journey, Paul established the congregations in Pisidia, Antioch, Iconium, Lystra, and Derbe. For more info on Paul's Journey I recommend a book called "New Testament Survey". This book really dives into the culture and development of the church after Christ's death on the cross and resurrection.

Anyway, I digress. Paul begins addressing his desire to please God, not man. Paul is not coming from a place of Religion. He is not just THINKING I have to follow God. He is FULLY persuaded and convinced Jesus is Son of God and He died for our sins and came back from the DEAD. He is making his case. He tried religion, books, college, higher learning. None of that is even considered in his attempts to please God. He realizes Jesus is the WAY. ONLY WAY TO GOD. Others tried to reach God in different ways. Only Jesus gives you a secure understanding that your spirit, soul and body are in harmony with God's purpose. Paul goes into the early struggles of his dealings with other Christ followers. The constant in Paul's life was always... FAITH, FAITH, FAITH. He understood this only too well while saying it over and over to even those who had been IN THE CHURCH many years previous. These people should have a clear understanding. But Paul was resounding a simple message to ALL who would hear. This applies to us today as we read and hear what he is saying. Galatians 2:21, "
I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law[set of rules I follow], Christ died for nothing!"
I love the BLACK and WHITE of Faith in Christ. Either HE died for our sins or we need to work our sins off. I accept JESUS' sacrifice... We are God's kids by Faith. What do you think? Leave your comments below.

Proverbs 1 - I love this book. It is a great daily reading. There are 31 chapters. All are centered on wisdom and understanding. David really had some insight. David wrote a lot of these scriptures. David, if you don't know, is mentioned in ACTS 13:22 as a man after God's own heart. David had a clear grasp on his covenant rights. He knew, even before Christ was born that God wanted a personal friendship with people on earth. He approached God from a standpoint of Faith, not a list of duties to please God. Once more if you read his life story he was far from PERFECT. Yet God still claimed David as a man after His own heart. We are privileged to have some writings which share his understanding. He starts out... 'The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.'
How true. Only a fool would think they know it all. We all need to constantly be able to learn and refine and sharpen our understanding of life and God. God is constantly speaking to us. Wisdom will lead and keep us on the path of God's purpose. I would be stupid to not learn from the lives and examples of others. So my advice is the same as David's. Take these 8 weeks and prepare your heart and remain teachable and open to the things God is telling you. Whether you believe it or not, God is trying to get your attention. Just stop. Take a deep breath... AND LISTEN!

Share your thoughts. Leave your comments below.

2 comments:

Tabitha Blue said...

This is a great read... and I'm excited for more!! Thanks for teaching a little of the history behind the books too :)

I love Paul's heart when he writes, he truly cares, and shares God's grace, but he's also right on point about the truth, no diluting it!

Proverbs are a perfect daily read as well. And today's ending verse of "all who listen to me will live in peace, untroubled by fear of harm." It speaks volumes. I want the wisdom that it has to offer!

Cerrinia said...

I liked how is showed in verse 6 " am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel—" Paul was writing to them so he was not at that time present in body with them to continue study of the Gospel. I know in my life that without the daily reading, praying, and meditation and confession of the Word i get messed up. Fast. Satan comes instantly to steal away the Word. I dont ever want to allow his thoughts, evil ones that satan throws at me to be taken in. I know that I feel bad when I let him lie to me. I dont ever want to turn away.

As for the Proverbs section, I loved and needed it. I have the amplified version and most of the time in Proverbs (not just book 1) when it states "fool" it sometimes has "self-confident" infront of it. That is something that I am dealing with right now, I sometimes want to do things my way and in my power but want God results, and if that is not a self confident fool I dont know what is :) Praise GOD that I am being delieverd from that and learing how to do it the right (God) way!